Friday, August 27, 2010

Canadian Smile

Anthony comes home from a hockey game and says (with a serious face) "So do you want the good news or the bad news?", this is a question that gets my attention every time. I generally always reply "Umm, the good news I guess." "We have good insurance", Me: "Ugh, okay... the bad news?" as I look up from the computer.

Anthony smiles and I get it. Must have been a Good Ol' Hockey Game!

After repeatedly asking if he's sure it didn't hurt we set our game plan - an obvious one: to see the dentist first thing in the morning and to inquire about accidental dental insurance with our provider.

The next morning Anthony calls me from the oral surgeon's office to tell me that the top left tooth was removed and that his right upper tooth may be saved depending on if any nerve sensation returns (~ 6 weeks wait). Dental surgery... gross, yuck, ouch and he still went to work after.



About a week later Anthony is working and asks to be excused (pointing to his mouth) as he had a hockey accident and explaining just sort of became customary to him (you'd be surprised how many people stare and make judgements). The lady tells Anthony that her husband is a oral surgeon and that he should leave to go see him right away, that she will call his office to make them aware that he is on his way. Later that day I get a call from "Chiclets" after he had seen Dr. Petty and he tells me that a brace was put across the front remaining teeth to try to stabilize them in hopes of saving them. The other teeth were grinded down to reduce the chance of them breaking while eating and eliminate the "ragged" look.

Anthony returned about 5 weeks later to have the brace removed and was x-rayed again and advised that he would be losing the upper right tooth as well as the break was higher than initially thought. Dr. Petty removed the tooth and put in a titanium screw, and did a bone graft (on the left side) as this was previously discussed, and would allow for dental implants to be added once the healing process is complete... dental surgery isn't cheap people!! That night I told him all I wanted for Christmas was his two front teeth!

So as it sits we're now waiting on our insurance provider to reimburse us (hopefully) the full amount we've spent so far, and to approve the cost of the new implants. Estimated total bill for a Canadian smile a whopping $8000...

1 comment:

  1. Anthony,

    Reading this made me tear up a bit because I love you so much. This looks very painful and I don't like seeing you in pain.

    I am with Alvina, all I want for Christmas is your two front teeth as well.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete