Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Growin' a Garden

When Anthony and I first started dating 10 years ago I thought that it was kind of strange how much pride he took in his garden. I've always loved Anthony's passion for the "hobbies" in his life and gardening was one of them so naturally I've come to love it too.

A lot of work and 2 years later it feels wonderful to have a backyard that is finally starting to resemble a yard (not a mud pit). The preparation it took to get this garden ready sure was a huge undertaking... we had to remove all the wood chips the builder put down in the retaining wall (12 feet by 8 feet and about 4 inches deep), wheel in 10 yards of garden soil and then plant... planting took me 2 days. We are starting to see the results of our (Anthony wheeled in all the soil for me) hard work as things are sprouting up all over the place.


I don't claim to have a green thumb, actually this year is the 3rd garden I've done, and here's to hoping that this will be my 3rd success. I must say there certainly is something very therapeutic about gardening, maybe it's because this is where I go at the end of my day to relax (weed/water the garden), and I relish the growth and beauty of it by day. Jack seems to like weeding too, and seems to do less damage than the rabbits! I really need to put out some Cayenne pepper or get the fence finished so this doesn't become the Bissoon Gourmet Garden House for rabbits.

On a side note Jack and I admire/inspect the garden a few times a day during which time I talk to him about the different fruit/veggies growing. I have been making all of Jack's food at home and would like for him to have a healthy relationship with food and this starts with knowing where it comes from, how it grows and the factors that affect its growth, I sure hope he grows up appreciating GOOD healthy food.

I've always wanted to try composting to reduce our waste so this is my first year trying it out... so far so good - no smell, flies or animals trying to get into it. Also, a first this year: bird feeders. Jack and I enjoy watching the birds - I need to learn more about them so we can attract more than just sparrows and robins. Now, I need to invest in some rain barrels. I really want 2 but am holding out for a deal (FREE hopefully or gifted... maybe for Christmas?). I'm grateful for all the rain this year in Calgary as I'm sure it has reduced my water bill but may not be so lucky next year so rain barrels are a must.

One day I will have a backyard oasis that I've always dreamed of - oh, but wait then it will be full of yelling, giggling, smiling children... but all too soon the day will come when peace and quiet will return and I will miss those moments so for now I will enjoy and embrace today's yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment